Pages

July 17, 2014

Legends Rugby Festival 2014

This time last weekend I was running around Wimbledon RFC with a cameraman by my side interviewing a whole host of people at the Legends Rugby Festival, it really was a great way to spend a Saturday. The Legends Rugby Festival’s ethos is to ensure that the spirit of rugby lives on and in South West London on one of the hottest days of the year past, present and future legends came together to celebrate the game and compete for a spot of silverware.

There were three competitive leagues plus the elite Legend's League and in front of hundreds of spectators all four competitions showcased fast paced and extremely competitive rugby, blood was drawn, muscles screamed and the occasional call for a set of new lungs could be heard throughout the day!!

At the highest level Saracens, Harlequins, London Irish, London Welsh, Leicester Tigers, Worcester, London Wasps, London Scottish, Gloucester, and Bristol all battled against each other for the ultimate bragging rights. Last year’s winners Saracens’ didn’t quite reach the same dizzy heights whilst Quins were the bridesmaids once again and my pre-tournament favourites Leicester brushed aside their 2013 humiliation and romped to victory with ease!

In my role as 'Chief Interviewer' for Legends Rugby I was privileged to speak to a huge number of the Legends and their families as well as players and spectators from all of the other leagues. Not a single person could keep the a smile off their face for a moment, the players were loving the hard surface and competitive games and the spectators were entralled by the quality of the rugby and of course delighted with the sunshine!! The atmosphere and indeed the entire Festival eptimoised everything that we all love about rugby; Legends of our great game, World Cup Winners, British and Irish Lions and Club Stalwarts were back on the pitch and having a delightful day with everyone there.

It was great to have the opportunity to interview the likes of Brian Moore, Neil Back, Lewis Moody and many others is one that I can't thank the Legends team enough for giving me, I loved every moment!  However let me take my work hat off for a second and tell you this; the Legends Rugby Festival was a stunning day, the people that I met, players and spectators alike, were outstanding individuals and the atmosphere was electric. 

I’m sure that you all know what I mean when I say that rugby people are simply your kind of people; rugby unites individuals together and at Wimbledon RFC on Saturday 12th July hundreds of 'my kind of people' were together in one place and had an incredible day. Needless to say I have already put the 2015 tournament firmly in the Out On The Full Diary and as soon as the footage has been put together I'll share the Legends Festival Video. Whilst you are unlikely to see my face on it please remember who was behind the camera grilling our Legends to hear their views and record those fantastic quotes that showcased just what a phenomenal event it was!